Be careful of children going back to school
It is important to be safe when you’re behind the wheel and going to the job site. Keep these tips in mind, keeping you safe as well as other drivers and pedestrians.
- Make every trip a planned trip. Before you get on the road, use maps, online services, and the media to check traffic conditions.
- Before you start driving, enter directions into your GPS. If you need to re- program, pull over safely and park.
- Operating a motor vehicle requires your full attention. When you’re behind the wheel, driving is your only job.
- Keep your eyes on the road. If you must look away, do so quickly. It takes only two seconds to cover the length of a full-sized basketball court while driving at 30mph.
- Do not operate or hold cell phones, music devices, portable gaming devices, or other electronics while driving.
- Do not send or read emails or text messages while driving.
- Never reach down, pick up items from the floor, open the glove box, or deal with personal items while driving. These distractions can easily lead to a collision which may cost you your job.
- If you travel to an out-of-town job, plan enough time to take breaks so you can still make time-sensitive appointments.